Sunday, May 15, 2011

Do I smell? No, seriously.

What does it mean when your locker buddy
comments on your scent? 

On the one day, the one day, this year that I chose to wear perfume, I was grabbing binders out of my locker, when Sneed walked up to his locker, which is right next to mine. 

He sniffed the air and announced, "I smell something... do you smell anything?"

I didn't look at him when I said calmly, "No, Sneed, I don't smell anything."

"Yes... I definitely smell something," he replied, then paused before saying, "May I please waft you?"

"No, you may not waft me!"

But he did anyway.  He burst my large personal space bubble and smelled me.  He made a gesture similar to one that a French chef may make over his newest creation, sweeping his hand through the air, toward his nose.

Then he grinned and said, "Yes, it was you!  I thought it was you, and it was!"

"Good job, Sneed."

When he had grabbed his last textbook out of his locker, he turned to me and said, "You smell good... you smell like JC Penneys!"

Should I feel insulted or complimented?

1 comment:

  1. Have no idea what that was. But I know the diff between a compliment and an insult:

    Compliments:
    "You smell like a delicate pink rose".
    "You smell like an English Garden".

    Insults:
    "You smell like a Walmart shopper".
    "You smell like a rotten fig".

    Irregardless of his intentions, he had no right to burst through your personal bubble and waft you. Shame on Sneed.

    ReplyDelete